Does this listing belong to your company? Click here to claim this listing.

Okuapeman Secondary

Akuapem, Ghana
Visit Website Add Favorites Contact Author
wlt_thumbnail-674

The School is situated on a 10 square kilometer campus of undulating land and pleasant surroundings about 2 km from the town of Akropong. The campus presents a panorama of beautiful and modern buildings intersected with verdant lawns and tropical flora which provide a cool and refreshing atmosphere congenial for a successful academic work. The School has four halls (houses) of residence, namely Opoku-Akyeampong (which was named after the founder himself), Akuffo, Kwadade and Dokua (which is the girls’ house). The idea of building a co-educational institution such as Achimota or on the model of English Private Schools struck and greatly obsessed Mr. Opoku-Akyeampong in 1955. Finally he decided to site his school on top the beautiful hills beyond the stream called ‘Nyaadebi’. With zeal he made the necessary contacts, saw the Omanhene (paramount Chief), the Akuapim State Council, and the real owners of the land, the nature of which he admired so much, acquired it, and built his school.

Having built it he adequately equipped the Okuapemman School; notably dormitories were furnished with vono spring iron beds and kept Mattresses, (here it is very interesting to note that students of this school were the first to enjoy using such comfortable beds in the Gold Coast (Ghana) when he formally opened it on the 8th of February, 1957. It had a population of 182 pupils, 159 boys and 2 girls in forms one to three. The pioneer teachers were only 6. The school started to run sixth form course in 1963.


Web Address Visit Link Here
distance: Unknown
Address Akuapem, Ghana
Category
Keywords  
No Feedback Received