Mfantsipim was the first secondary school to be established in the Gold Coast in 1876 and in 1905, it moved to its present location at Kwabotwe Hill in the northern part of the town, at the top of Kotokuraba Road in Cape Coast.
The school sometimes has been referred to as ‘Kwabotwe’ for that reason. It has turned out some of the country’s best known public figures in all walks of life, men such as Alex Quaison-Sackey, former President of the General Assembly of UN, Dr. K A Busia, Kofi Annan, the immediate past General Secretary of the United Nations. It was deemed to be a Grammar School because Latin and Greek were taught but the school also offered carpentry, art and crafts and it has generally been known as “Mfantsipim School”.
It was an all boys boarding school although the intake included a small number of “day students”, that is, pupils who attended school from home. Girls were later admitted to the sixth form. Today Mfantsipm is an all-boys secondary institution and has historic ties with its sister school, the Wesley Girls’ High School. Mfantsipim is affectionately referred to as ‘The School’ by it’s alums (old boys) due to the institutions historic origins.