Kumasi High School (KUHIS), as it is known today, started as a private secondary school in 1962 by one Mr. S. K. Amoah. It was then called Kwame Nkrumah Secondary School. It was named after the first president of the Republic of Ghana, Osagyefo Dr. Kwame Nkrumah. It was then located at Asuyeboa, a suburb of the Kumasi metropolis in the Ashanti Region of Ghana. In 1963, the School was relocated to Kwadaso in Kumasi to occupy rented premises. The School was absorbed into the public educational system by the then government of the Republic of Ghana during the 1965/66 academic year. Mr. Albert Appiah, a tutor at Prempeh College in Kumasi, was appointed by the government as the School’s first headmaster.
The name of the School was changed to Kumasi High School soon after the 1966 military coup, which ousted Dr. Kwame Nkrumah’s government. The School remained at Kwadaso until 1977 when it was moved to occupy its present site, some 80 acres land at Gyinyase near Ahinsan Estate, Kumasi under the headship of Mr. Kwadwo Amo Asare (the third headmaster of the School).
At the beginning of the 1978/79 academic year, the School was given permission by Ghana Education Service, a unit under the Ministry of Education, to run sixth form courses in business education, arts and science. The sixth form educational system has, however, been phased out with the introduction of the new educational reforms by the Government of the Republic of Ghana in the late 1980s. The School now runs a three-year senior secondary school programme in general arts, general science, business education, visual arts and general agriculture.
THE SCHOOL`S ADDRESS is P.O.BOX 1247, KUMASI, GHANA