It was to satisfy the urgent need for a secondary school which would provide good tuition at a reasonable cost to children from less fortunate homes who had the aptitude but whose parents could not send them to schools like Achimota, Mfantsipim and Adisadel that the late Dr. K. G. Konuah, the late G.N. Alema (BA, Oxon.), the late S.N. Awuletey (inter BA, Durham) and the late J.A. Halm-Addo founded Accra Academy as a private educational enterprise. After repair work had been completed on Ellen House and furniture procured, Accra Academy was officially opened on 20th July, 1931. The school started with a school population of 19 distributed into forms one to three including A.K.
Konuah (later Headmaster), C.S. Duah (later a member of the teaching staff), R.Q.E. Blankson (later Town Engineer, Accra Municipal Council) and F.G.Torto (later Professor of Chemistry at the University of Ghana, Legon).